GLOBAL CORPORATE CARE SERVICES - Employee & Family Assistance Program
What is an EFAP?
Employee and Family Assistance Programs (EFAP) provide brief assessment and counseling, as well as a referral program for employees (and often family members) of an organization. EFAP’s were developed with the idea that emotionally healthy workers were productive employees. This has held to be true. A well utilized EFAP can reduce staff turnover and absenteeism, increase morale, increase effective communication strategies between and within department, reduce training costs, and increase productivity.
Effective EFAP’s consist of:
• Assessment - This may involve clinical interviews, standardized psychological testing, or collaborative interviews (supervisor, physician, teacher, etc.)
• Counseling - brief counseling for psychological issues (relationship issues, stress, addictions, anxiety, depression, work issues, etc.)
• Referral Services - available for treatment of issues that are not wholly within the realm of psychology (e.g., financial counseling, legal concerns)
• Supervisory Consultation - available for supervisors, managers, and human resources personnel. Consultation offered on how to use EFAP’s effectively (e.g., how to make a formal referral based on an employee’s work performance.)
• Training - offered on a variety of relevant topics (e.g., sexual harassment in the workplace, supervisory training, communication strategies, dealing with change, stress management, team building, and mediation skills)
What happens when you access the EFAP?
All contact with the EFAP is entirely confidential. Simply call our offices and book an appointment. When you come to our offices, you will meet with one of our registered psychologists. The program will be explained in detail (the number of hours available, and cost, if any). The counseling process will also be explained, with emphasis on the issue of confidentiality. Once the assessment is completed, you will be provided several options (e.g., counseling, referral).
How do I access the EFAP?
Simply call our office at 266-2017. Our psychologists are available for appointments within 24 hours of your call. Our office hours are from 8:30 to 5:00, Monday through Friday, but with special arrangements, evening or weekend appointments are available.
THINK ABOUT THIS - Many feel a stigma when contemplating asking for help with their personal or work
related issues. However, mental health is simply another component of your overall health - accessing
psychological help is similar to going to your doctor for your physical health. Even if you feel that the problem may be somebody else’s (e.g., alcoholism), if their issue is affecting you, then accessing psychological help will give you options in dealing with the issue.
REMEMBER - asking for help is a sign of strength, not of weakness.
CONFIDENTIAL COUNSELING IS OFFERED IN RESPONSE TO:
STRESS (work/non-work related)
• psychological and physical reactions to stress, e.g., headaches, insomnia, eating dysfunctions
• crisis intervention
• job stress (harassment, job uncertainty, career counseling)
• family issues
• supervisory concerns
• peer relationships
• abuse issues
• alcohol and/or drug abuse
• ACOA (adult children of alcoholics)
• recovery issues
The firm of Fong Ailon is a group of independent Registered Psychologists offering a wide range of professional counseling and assessment services.
• Harassment/Hostile Work Environments
• Gender issues
• Codependency, ACOA issues
• Anxiety and depression
• Child and adolescent therapy
• Grief and loss issues
• Living with illness
• Post traumatic stress
• Adaption to disability or illness
• Family therapy
• Group psychological counseling in the areas of relationships, parenting issues
• Industrial-organizational consulting
• Custody, Personal Injury, Civil Forensic and Psycho-Educational assessment.